Thursday, February 1, 2007

Newsy stuff...

The dogs: Sam kicked me in the mouth last night while we were sleeping--managed to split my lower lip. Coincidentally (I swear it wasn't retaliatory), the dogs went to the vet today. They both got 3-year rabies shots, office exam, heartworm test, and the "senior wellness exam" blood work. Total? $182.50. Each. Sam generally gets blood work done twice a year to check how his thyroid is doing (he's on meds). But both dog are going in next Tuesday for dentals, and my vet likes to get the full panel for "elective" surgery like the dental. (It's not that elective: Jacey's gums bleed when I brush her teeth.) The senior exam also includes a urinalysis, so the vet tech and I were outside with the dogs (between rain showers); both dogs cooperated. We want the urinalysis for Jacey, especially, since she's still having urinary tract issues. (There's some inflamation, but she doesn't seem bothered by it.) The vet commented favorably on the dogs' coats; since both dogs get glucosamine, fish oil, flax seed oil, and cranberry pills daily--on top of their super-premium dog food--they damn well better have good coats. Next month we'll make a return visit to the vet for the other shots and the bordatella-vaccine-up-the-nose fun.

The dogs are going in for dentals on Tuesday. This is a HUGE issue for me, and I'm doing this on short notice to get it over with before I chicken out. Sam had seizures (probably from the ketamine, they think) the last time he had a dental. Jacey almost predictably demonstrates some undesirable side effects from any drugs she takes. And Oreo died in surgery last March. So I'm not just enormously enthusiastic about having my dogs knocked out to have their teeth cleaned. On the other hand, tooth and gum trouble are likely to lead to unwanted infections; both dogs appear to be in good health right now (the lab work is to check on that); neither dog is dangerously old for anesthesia (Sam is 6, 7 in May; Jacey is 3, 4 in May). And I'd like to be able to brush Jacey's teeth without making her gums bleed. I could do without having all this expense at one time; but if I'm going to stress and worry about the dogs under anesthesia, I might as well worry about both of them at the same time and get it done. I'll deliver them to the vet on Tuesday morning, pick them up Tuesday afternoon; in between, I may have a house-cleaning orgy. (I'm trying not to dwell on coincidences: last year, my dogs saw the vet and had good check-ups; Oreo broke her leg the next day, and she died the day after that. I'd sorta like to bubble wrap both dogs for the next week or so.)

Crafts: I've finished the first 32 rows (of 172+) of Ashley's afghan. I've done about 30 rows of Daniel's. I've learned not to do the black part of his afghan at night; there's just not enough light to see clearly. I've also done four squares for the BC Convention afghan, and I'll take pictures after I block them--and before I send them off to join companion squares. I've wanted to learn Tunisian crochet; I went to a Web site, followed the videos, and practiced the stitches on these squares. Now, if I can learn how to keep the stitches from rolling up...

No comments: