Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Wednesday

I've been over to check on Mother every day, while Iris and Bob are on vacation. Mother remembers her pills most days, but she's a bit iffy on breakfast, so far. (Supposedly, she eats a waffle every morning, and should be leaving a plate sticky with syrup. No plate = no breakfast. But there's a fork every day, so she's eating lunch: a Michelina frozen meal--the box is in the trash.) When I don't find a breakfast plate, I give Mother a nutrition bar instead.

Work has been very slow, and someone has come up with a way we can get extra hours, but the instructions haven't been good. We have implemented a new online training session for employees, and the suggestion is that three of us who do a lot of proofing and organizing and editing of the files should take "23 role-based training plans" (including the tests) and let them know how long each plan takes. And they want it done by noon on June 6. Fine.

But what 23 role-based training plans? There's no list of 23 anything: one menu of plans shows 4, another menu shows 6, one shows 15 (but several of those are way out of our pay grade), and one shows more than 100 "courses." If I search "role-based training plans", I get 50 hits before I get tired of counting. I had a slow day today, and I'd love to have gotten some of that stuff out of the way. (I want to knit this holiday weekend--not work on a bunch of files.)

The original request came in late Monday. During the day Tuesday, I poked around in various menus and found I don't have precisely 23 of anything, so late Tuesday I wrote to the woman who sent the initial email and asked for a link or a list or something. Presumably, there's a specific set of plans, since they want to know how long it takes (so they'll know how long to expect employees to take). I haven't heard anything back from her, and today has been really dead. I've emailed her again, and I sent an email to the other two women who are supposed to be doing this to see if they know what 23 plans we're supposed to do. June 6 is 9 working days from today--14 days if you count weekends and the holiday, which I don't want to do.

Is it too much to expect adequate instructions? We'll see if I get instructions tomorrow and find out if my coworkers are as confused as I am.

Meanwhile, I signed up for a mystery knit-along, and I bought yarn to do the pattern twice. (It's a mosaic lace shawl.) The pattern called for Lucero, which is expensive ($36/skein), but is lovely and has a tiny stellina strand to make it sparkle. I ordered one skein of each color I liked--Temperance and Teal--but I wasn't sure they'd get here in time. Thus, I ordered some Knitpicks Gloss in Cranberry and Jade--much less expensive than the Lucero.  We've had the set-up instructions for a few weeks, but the first real clue is due this Friday.



ETA: A coworker responded with a spreadsheet. 23 collections of topics, some of which have 30+ files in the topic. This will be fun.

No comments: