Tuesday, October 7, 2008

And in economic news, today...

I got an emailed alert from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

Dow dips below 200

Stocks dipped below 200 points in quiet trading today as investors appeared to adopt a wait-and-see approach to the range of options the Federal Reserve has laid out to inject the sluggish credit markets with a dose of much-needed confidence.

The only on-line way I could see to reach them quickly was to use their "news tips" email address, so I emailed them a message with the following subject line: "News tip: AJC causes stock crash and panic"

In my message, I pointed out to them that there's a difference between dropping 200 points and dipping below 200 points. (Basically, there's a more than 7,000-point difference.) I suggested they might want to correct their message. Soon.

Honestly. If they're going to mail you "news alerts," they could make an effort to get them right.


We now return you to your regular programming...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man that is a huge difference. Did they correct it?

KF-in-Georgia said...

Not yet. I think they're playing dumb. They've emailed a later alert that says "Dow off nearly 300 on new Fed warning." I think they'll just go forward and perhaps pretend they don't have anything to correct.

I got an automated reply from their site. It'll be interesting to see if I later get an actual note from them about the error. In the meantime, maybe they'll pay more attention to what they're saying.