Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Who broke the Internet?

IMDB is down. For me, anyway.

And GNIS is down. (That's the US government's site for official names of places.) http://geonames.usgs.gov/ It was totally down--as in "Are you sure you typed that right?" down--last night. Today, you can get to the search window, but you get an error when you search.

Saturday is the 100th anniversary of John Wayne's birth. TCM is showing bunches of his movies every day. Today's been the non-John Ford Westerns (Hondo, The Alamo, etc.). Tonight is Wayne-in-the-air: Island in the Sky, the High and the Mighty, The Flying Tigers, and Reunion in France. Tomorrow night is Wayne-in-World War II.

I've been working on the fancy doily today. When I need to give my hands a rest, I do a little genealogy fiddling--even without GNIS (which I need to try to locate an tiny cemetery).

I found a picture on Flickr of someone else's efforts on the same doily. I'm working it in a cream color--almost yellow. I've done through round 18. The pattern is 29 rounds. Round 18 was 256 stitches; it eventually gets up to 400 stitches. The blocked piece--if I have the size right--will be 15.25 inches.

I ordered an out-of-print book of killer doily patterns from a seller on ebay. No bidding: I just bought the thing.

Edited to add: IMDB is back. The government's a bit slower to fix breakages.

No comments: